Your children have internet access on their computer and you would like to be able to keep them from seeing things you find undesirable, instead of stay behind them to control them , set up a free window parental control .
Note: For a best view of the screen shots and pictures appearing in this post, just click on them to have a zoom on the picture, and close them if you want.
Here you are at the right place. We are going to show you how to set up a parental control on windows 7 that would allow you to manage how your children use the computer but limiting or choosing the web pages that they can see, the hours that they can log on to the computer, and which games or program they can play or run.
To set up Parental Controls,
- You need to make sure that you have a Hotmail account like this ”firstname.lastname@example.org“, otherwise you have to create one before starting the process. You need to enter account name and password of this account when setting up the parental control, and it is useful because windows uses it to inform you about everything allowed or not that your child tries to do on the computer with his/her account.
- You need to connect with an administrator account on the computer that you want to monitor, and make sure that each person you want to set up a parental control for has a standard user account. Because parental controls can be applied only to standard user accounts. If you haven’t yet created a user account just read this post “create a user account on Windows computer“.
- If you have hotmail account created and you connected with the the administrator account, go to Start menu, click on Control Panel, you will have this Windows:
Then, under User Accounts and Family Safety, click on Set up parental controls for any user. If you were connected with a non administrator account you will be prompt by a window asking to enter an administrator password or confirmation, in this last case type the password or provide confirmation for the administrator, then you will be at prompt to this screen:
- Click the standard user account that you want to set Parental Controls for. Here we choose the account name Kid1. Then you will be prompted by this window below, enter your hotmail account and your password and click on sign in.It would take a certain time and then you will be prompted to this other window:
- Select the user account you want to monitor on this computer: for our example we click on Kid1 , then click on save , you will see this windows which is showing that the parental control is being set up.
and if everything is good you will get this window:
You see on the picture above that , the web filtering: block adult sites have been activated and the activity reporting too.
Click now on close, and your parental control has been turned on on the account Kid1 for this computer.Once you’ve turned on Parental Control for your child’s standard user account, you should customize the others parameters for a full control. this others parameters are:
- Web filtering ( it allows to choose which web site your child could access or not ) when parental control is turn on this option is set up automaticaly to Block Adult Site. but to add others filters, click on Web Filtering: for example if you don’t want your child to be able to download stuff on internet and you want him only to access website you will select, in your web Filtering window Uncheck allow account to download file online and select with blue color allow list only like on this print screen below:Then click on save, and on the left side select Web filtering list to add all the website you want your child to be able to access or add a specify website you don’t want him/ her to access. for example I want my child to be able to access only this two website: www.eduplace.com and www.discoveryeducation.com, I would type their address one by one on the text zone then I would click on allow and it would go into the list of allow websites like in these print screen below:
Always click on save to save what you modified.
Note: you can also remove a website from a list of allow websites or from a list of block website only by checking the check box beside him and by clicking on the remove button up to the list.
- The Time limits (it is time when the user or kid will be allowed to log on to the computer, the logon hours for every day of the week may be different, If they’re logged on when their allotted time end, they’ll be automatically logged off) to set this up:-Go back to the user account you want to monitor by going at control panel> then click on user account and family safety> then click on parental controls, click on the user account and you will be prompt to a Microsoft windows live asking to enter your hotmail email and your password, just enter this parameter like below:
At the top right, click on Time limits link to open the time limit interface and an time limit interface would appears like below with a weekly time table, but it will be inactive until you turn the time limit on:
So , check the radio button turn on the time limit , then the time table will became more clear (active).
Select the space of time you want your kid to not be able to connect to the computer with his account, by holding the rigth click of your mouse down and go through it.
For my sample I would like my kid to not log on to this computer from Monday to Friday from 11AM to 06 PM and from 09PM to 11PM. It means that I want him to be connected only from 06PM to 09 pm, also I would like him to be able to connect on Saturday and Sunday between 03PM and 08 PM only. After having set all this restriction, my time limit interface would be like below:
always save your modification by clicking on the save button .
6.The Games (it allows to control access to games, you can choose the kind of games he can play, the age-rating level he can play, choose the types of games you want to block, and decide whether you want to allow or block unrated or specific games.
- Choose games rating level : According to the age of your child, choose a game rating level in the list of all the games rating level below , Just try to read the explanation of a rating level before choosing it. For example my child is 8 years old and I choose the early childhood rating level because the content is appropriate for child. see the print screen below:
Then click on save to save. After you can choose a specific game you want to allow or block.
- Block or Allow specific game: Click on the button situated under the list of rating level to activate a specific game you want to allow or block. you would get this window after clicking:
Then check beside the games you want to allow in the “always allow “column and the one you want to block on the “always block” column. For my case I want my kid account kid1 to always be able to play, family games and kids games only. So after setting this, my windows look like this:
Tips: In order to not waste time checking those rows, If you see that the number of games to block is more than the games to allow, start by checking the “always block radio button” himself which will block all the games and then you could check beside each game you want to allow. then click on save to save your modification.
7.Application and directories restriction: you can restrict which application/directory on the computer the account/child can access. For that, click on app restriction on the left sidebar of the hotmail account , you will get this windows:
Check the turn on radio button to activate this features, if you know the name of the applications/directories you want to block , just look at it in the list of applications on the computer and check the check box near to the application you want to block , for example for my case I blocked 2 applications to the account I am monitoring and you may see the application checked like in this picture below.
Tips: you can even use the search zone to search for an application or directory you want to block by typing its name in the search zone, before checking it in order to blocked access to it to your child account.
then save the changes by clicking on the save button.
8.Activity Reporting: Make sure activity reporting is turn on because it will allow you to have a report of the account activities, for that:
-In the same hotmail account on the left side bar click on activity reporting and check the “turn on activity reporting radio button”, and you can come there every time to follow the account activities. there , you would see a summary of account activities by clicking on the summary tab , or you can see his web activity by clicking on the web activity tab like below:
Or you can see his computer activity by clicking on the computer activity tab like here:
9.Contact Management: If your child, or the account your set up a parental control for has a hotmail account or msn messenger account you can always control who your child or the account chats and shares email with. For it , click on the left sidebar of your hotmail account and click on Contact Management, then you will get this window:
Click on add your child windows live id, you need to have your child hotmail account or msn account and his password ready with you, a new pop up window will open, click on the appropriate lint to add his hotmail or msn account
10. Allow request of a website/ games blocked or of adding a new msn contact: Sometime the account you are monitoring may want to allow certain websites/games you have blocked without knowing the importance or a new website or games good for him, or even want to add a new contact in his msn/hotmail account , you can always come to “ request” to see what your child / account your are monitoring request you, by clicking on request in the left sidebar then choose the appropriate tab to see what website has been requested or which contacts has been requested. This window look like this:
after all this done you may be sure that the account won’t access stuff you didn’t allow him to access. And if your child try to access a website site or an information you don’t allow, he /his would receive a window like this below:
If you like this tutorial, please consider post a comment !